Monday, 15 March 2010

March Goal 2 Complete!


When digging around in my stash on Friday night I came across 2 tubes of bright red bugles, in real life they actually look like plastic. I bought these about 3 years ago to make a gift for a friend but ended up making a bracelet instead of the necklace that I had planned because the stitch I used was taking forever.
I had been flicking through Beth Stone's book Seed Bead Stitching and found the tri stitch, which I have used before but only the circular version for ring tops and medallions. The flat version whipped up ridiculously quickly so I decided to just make 2 long strips (each one is 1 tube of beads) and tie them together to wear as a lariat. For such a simple idea I think it worked out great! My summer wardrobe is based around white and navy, so this bright red little number should work really well.
A note about working with bugles: I would normally recommend using a seed bead either side of a bugle to protect your beading thread from the bugles sharp edges. I haven't done this here as I am using K.O. which is quite a new thread to me and I want to see how long it holds up! I don't mind experimenting on a piece that took just a couple of hours but would hate for the thread to break and ruin something that had taken a long time.

2 comments:

Bobbi said...

Hi Sarah, Well...what a clever and awesome idea this is and how beautiful this piece turned out! Way to go! Hope you have a great rest of your evening!
Hugs and happy beading...
Bobbi

Sarah said...

Thank you Bobbi, have a great day!